Easy & Quick Scallion Pancakes
INGREDIENTS - Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup pure sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Duxbury Saltworks sea salt, plus more for finishing
12 scallions stalks
Black or white sesame seeds, optional
oil - for cooking
INGREDIENTS - Dipping Sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, water, sesame oil, olive oil and sea salt until smooth. Set aside.
- In the meantime, wash and finely chop the scallions, discarding the roots and the tips of the green tops.
- Using your fingers, quickly break apart the chopped scallions to separate out the layers. Mix half into the batter, leaving the other 1/2 to sprinkle on top once in the pan.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a 10-12 inch non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, swirl the oil around so it coats the pan.
- Quickly ladle half of the batter, to cover the surface, then immediately use a spatula to spread the batter to fill the entire bottom, spreading the batter outward to make the pancake into a circle. The batter will cook quickly on the hot pan, so just spread it around as much as you can.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds (if using) across batter and cook the pancake for about 5 minutes, periodically lifting the pancake up to check if the bottom has browned.
- When the scallion pancake has browned on the bottom, lift the pancake up with a spatula, quickly add 1-2 tbsp more cooking oil to the pan, and flip the pancake.
- While the pancake cooks, blend both dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cook pancake for another 5 minutes or until the second side is browned. Remove from heat and set on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Slicing each pancake into 8 triangles, garnish with remaining scallions, and serve with dipping sauce.
- Makes two, 8-10 inch. pancakes.
- Scallions are also called green onions and can be found year-round your market.
- If you don't have rice wine vinegar, replace with whatever white vinegar you have on hand.